Emerald Highlights 2016
Emerald AC had another successful year with several highlights
- Emerald AC received Munster club star award in Feb 2016 for best Juvenile T&F in 2015. In addition two athletes Ciara Neville & Jamie Mitchell received 2015 Munster Star awards and 3 athletes are due to receive 2016 Munster Star Awards-Ciara Neville, Jamie Mitchell & Rachel Hosey for their performances throughout the year
- Middle distance coach Ann O Mara received Limerick Sports Partnership Award for her contribution to Athletics over the years
- Sports Grant of €12,000 was received between the three Limerick clubs and equipment purchased
- Limerick Sports Partnership Grant received to be used for coach training & younger group tournament
- Old website was redesigned and upgraded
XCountry & Middle distance Review
Some fine performances all around. Munster medals in cross country and track for Rory Penderville, Ellen Lynch, Caoimhe Ryan, Emma Doyle, Rachel Hosey, Andrew Kennedy, Jack Curtin and Patrick Hayes. Also Rachel Hosey was awarded a Munster star award for Cross Country. Amy O’ Donoghue won a bronze in the senior indoor 1500, was on the UL xc and road relay teams that won the intervarsities, 2nd in the national u23 XC. Was on the Irish u23 team for the European XC champs in Italy.
Track & Field
14 to 19 age group review
There are 26 in this group and it includes 3 carded athletes – Jenna Bromwell, Ciara Neville & Jamie Mitchell. Both Ciara and Jamie competed in the Junior Europeans (both reaching semi-finals). Jenna reached the semi-finals in the Worlds competition and Ciara anchored the relay team which reached 5th in the final breaking the Irish record at the time.Ciara recently broke the Irish Junior record for 60m sprint and made the European qualifying time.
Other athletes performed well, winning at Munster and All Ireland level, also the schools intermediate relay competition was won by 4 athletes from this group.
Warm weather training is planned again for the 4th successive year
Younger Group Review
There is unprecedented growth with the younger groups. In particular there are 36 budding athletes in the 7-10 group. There has been good participation in the Athletics Limerick competition with some medals.